On the redistribution rights of (modded) M+R scripts

Willkommen in der OMSI-WebDisk!
Als Gast kannst du nur Inhalte in deiner ausgewählten Sprache sehen. Registrierte Nutzer können die Sichtbarkeit anderer Sprachen in ihrem Kontrollzentrum aktivieren, weitere Infos hier.
Alle Themen sind in den Foren mit einer Sprachflagge gekennzeichnet: = Englisch [EN], = Deutsch [DE], = Französisch [FR]. Wenn du die angegebene Sprache nicht beherrschst, schreibe auf Englisch!
Haftungsausschluss
Dieses Forum bietet keine verbindliche Rechtsberatung! Alle Beiträge werden nach bestem Wissen der Autoren verfasst, Irrtümer können nicht ausgeschlossen werden.
  • Standard scripts have always played a key role in the OMSI modding landscape. No matter what one is messing with, be it a ticket printer, a dashboard, an engine, or a bus stop's arrivals/departures display, chances are that at least a subset of the functionality of the object or subsystem was derived from the standard MAN SD/NL/NG and scenery object script base.

Question: What is it exactly, legally speaking, that grants us modders the right to modify and redistribute (portions of) standard scripts? Judging from both the script file headers and the OMSI/Aerosoft EULA, it appears that everything that "the product" (OMSI) comprises -- thus including the SDK and all standard content, in turn including scripts --, is copyrighted and unavailable for modification/redistribution without explicit consent. Obviously I must be missing something, for otherwise at least half of all the mods published over the past decade would have been deemed copyright-infringing, effectively precluding their publication, via the (quasi-)official channels at least. So is there somewhere an SDK-specific exception clause, that relaxes the normal modification/redistribution restrictions for non-commercial uses? Or is just silent, informal approval/"tolerance" by MR-Software (RIP) and/or Aerosoft what we have been witnessing all along? Or has everyone ever having modded/redistributed standard scripts gone through the trouble of seeking formal approval by the copyright holders? (of course the latter is not the case -- I'm just trying to make a point).

Context: I've always published my mods under copyleft licenses (e.g. Unlicense, CC0, WTFPL). But, when mods depend or derive from standard scripts, I've also felt compelled to weigh on the side of caution, by adding the restriction clause that "redistributed content is subject to the terms of its respective authors/owners". That clause annoys me and I'd like to get rid of it if/when possible, since it effectively cancels out my intent of dedicating mods to the public domain. That's why I'm asking this question -- to help shed some light on the legal background and ramifications, and make a better informed decision henceforth.

• Anzeige
  • Das kopieren, verändern und weiternutzen von Scripten, die M+R gehören, wird geduldet. Rechtlich gesehen bleiben die Rechte bei M+R Software, wenn man Teile umschreibt oder neue Teile einstellt. Viele User denken, wenn sie einen neuen Scriptabschnitt in vorhandene Scripte einstellen, dass die Rechte für das Script auf sich selbst übergehen. Das ist aber falsch. Um ein Script mit eigenen Rechten zu versehen, muß es selbst neu erstellt werden und darf keinerlei Teile von M+R Software enthalten. Ist ein Teil von M+R Software drin, bleibt das Recht bei M+R Software. Und somit auch bei Aerosoft.

Wenn ich beim Gemälde "Mona Lisa" einen Hut drauf male, geht das Bild auch nicht automatisch in meinen Besitz über.

Im Grunde genommen, ist das ganze Copyright-System hier in der Filebase quatsch. Verändere ich originale Texturen (ob teile oder alles) oder füge ich Scriptschnipsel in einem Script ein, bleiben die Rechte bei originalen Autor. Erstellt der Uploader eine eigene Lizenz dazu, begeht er eine Straftat, wegen Plagiatsdiebstahl.

Du kannst nur die Teile schützen, die du selbst erstellt hast und die nichts von anderen Autoren enthält. Allerdings sind hierbei, die Lizenzen zu beachten, von den Programmen, die du dabei verwendest (Paint.net, Blender, zModeler, Word-Programme, Notpad++, etc.)

The copying, changing and further use of scripts belonging to M + R is tolerated. From a legal point of view, the rights remain with M + R Software when rewriting parts or adding new parts. Many users think that when they add a new script section to existing scripts, the rights for the script pass to themselves. But that's wrong. In order to give a script its own rights, it must be created again and must not contain any parts of M + R Software. If a part of M + R Software is included, the right remains with M + R Software. And therefore also at Aerosoft.

If I paint a hat on the painting "Mona Lisa", the picture does not automatically pass into my possession.

Basically, the whole copyright system here in the filebase is nonsense. If I change original textures (whether parts or everything) or if I insert script snippets in a script, the rights remain with the original author. If the uploader creates his own license, he commits a crime for theft of plagiarism.

You can only protect the parts that you have created yourself and that contain nothing from other authors. However, the licenses of the programs you use (Paint.net, Blender, zModeler, Word programs, Notpad ++, etc.) must be observed.

Tatra

• Übersetzung von Unorthodox Paradox

Zuerst einmal muss man sich bei allen Copyright-Fragen die Frage stellen: Wer ist überhaupt zuständig? Gemäß der OMSI-EULA [0] ist das allein Aerosoft. In der Regel treten Entwickler ihre Rechte an den Publisher ab - so ist es vmtl. auch hier. Dass es M+R Software nicht mehr gibt, stellt eine zusätzliche Schwierigkeit dar.

Verbindliche Antworten kann nur der Publisher, Aerosoft geben.

Was kann überhaupt geschützt werden? In Deutschland gibt es das Konzept der Schöpfungshöhe [2], das auch unter [1] diskutiert wurde. Platt gesagt: Werke sind nur dann schutzwürdig, wenn sie ein gewisses Mindestmaß an Individualität erreichen. Ob dies schon bei einfachen Script-Schnipseln, cfg-Dateien o.ä. wirksam ist, darüber kann man sich durchaus streiten. Leider bin ich kein Jurist, um diese Frage hinreichend zu beantworten.

Unklar.

Jetzt zum konkreten Fall: Da es jahrelang von Aerosoft und den OMSI-Entwicklern mindestens geduldet wurde, dass in Scripts und Karten Bestandteile des Hauptspiels OMSI drinstecken, kann man wohl von einer Art "Bestandschutz" ausgehen (eine Art stillschweigender Vertrag). Sollte tatsäch einmal der Rechtsfall eintreten, könnte man sich also darauf berufen, dass es 7 Jahre lang auch alle so gemacht haben und niemand je dagegen war. ^^ Leider ist genau dieses Thema schwierig. In der IT-Branche streiten sich auch große Firmen darüber - mal so, mal so.

Einige Sachen, die Tatra angesprochen hat, sind leider ein wenig inkorrekt, bzw. unvollständig:

Um ein Script mit eigenen Rechten zu versehen, muß es selbst neu erstellt werden [und darf keinerlei Teile von M+R Software enthalten]. Ist ein Teil von M+R Software drin, bleibt das Recht [der originalen Teile] bei M+R Software. Und somit auch bei Aerosoft. [...] Verändere ich originale Texturen (ob teile oder alles) oder füge ich Scriptschnipsel in einem Script ein, bleiben die Rechte bei originalen Autor.

Die selbsterstellten / hinzugefügten Teile darf man sehr wohl als sein "Eigentum" betrachten. Nur das Gesamtwerk nicht. Das wäre ja auch unsinnig: Wenn jemand eine Mod für den SD202 macht, gehen die Rechte nicht automatisch zu Aerosoft über. Die Rechte am SD202 verbleiben bei Aerosoft, die Rechte an den durch die Mod veränderten Teile sind aber dem Autor der Mod zuzuschreiben.

Für alles, was du selbst gemacht hast (z.B. hinzugefügte selbstgemachte Texturen, neu eingefügte Scriptabschnitte (auch innerhalb eines schon vorhandenen MR-Scripts! - wobei wir hier wieder bei der Schöpfungshöhe wären: Ist diese bereits gegeben wenn man eine Variable verändert? Oder erst wenn 25% des gesamten Scripts neu geschrieben worden sind?), eigene Sounddateien, ...) kannst du die Rechte beanspruchen.

Erstellt der Uploader eine eigene Lizenz dazu, begeht er eine Straftat, wegen Plagiatsdiebstahl.

So etwas wie Plagiatsdiebstahl gibt es nicht. Allenfalls würde hier §106 UrhG zum Tragen kommen. Dieser bezieht sich aber lediglich auf die Vervielfältigung/Verbreitung/öffentliche Wiedergabe, nicht auf eine eigene Lizenzierung. Der Zivilrechtsweg wäre hier als Möglichkeit genannt.

Allerdings sind hierbei, die Lizenzen zu beachten, von den Programmen, die du dabei verwendest (Paint.net, Blender, zModeler, Word-Programme, Notpad++, etc.)

Für die Vollstädigkeit: paint.net [3], Blender [4] und N++ [5] erlauben eine uneingeschränkte Nutzung (auch kommerziell). Wenn man Dateien damit erstellt hat, kann man da sein Copyright ohne Probleme druntersetzen. Da ist nichts zu befürchten. Bei zModeler weiß ich es nicht. Bei MS Word erwirbt man das Recht, das Programm zu nutzen mit einer kostenpflichtigen legalen Lizenz. Dann hat man auch das volle Recht an den damit erstellten Dateien samt Inhalt.

First of all, with all copyright issues you have to ask yourself: Who is responsible at all? According to the OMSI-EULA [0] this is Aerosoft alone. Usually developers assign their rights to the publisher - it is probably the same here. The fact that M+R Software is no longer available is an additional difficulty.

Only the publisher, Aerosoft, can give binding answers.

What can be protected at all? In Germany there is the concept of the height of creation [2], which was also discussed under [1]. Platt said: Works are only worthy of protection if they reach a certain minimum level of individuality. Whether this is already effective for simple script snippets, cfg-files or the like, is a matter of debate. Unfortunately I am not a lawyer to answer this question sufficiently.

Unclear.

Now to the concrete case: Since it was at least tolerated by Aerosoft and the OMSI developers for years that parts of the main game OMSI are included in scripts and maps, one can probably assume a kind of "inventory protection" (a kind of tacit contract). Should the legal case actually occur, one could refer to the fact that for 7 years everybody did it that way and nobody ever opposed it. ^^ Unfortunately, exactly this topic is difficult. In the IT industry, even large companies argue about it - sometimes like this, sometimes like that.

Some things Tatra has mentioned are unfortunately a little bit incorrect or incomplete:

In order to give a script its own rights, it must be created again [and must not contain any parts of M + R Software]. If a part of M + R Software is included, the right remains with M + R Software. And therefore also at Aerosoft. [...] If I change original textures (whether parts or everything) or if I insert script snippets in a script, the rights remain with the original author.

One may very well regard the self-created / added parts as his "property". Just not the complete works. That would be nonsense: If someone makes a mod for SD202, the rights do not automatically go to Aerosoft. The rights to the SD202 remain with Aerosoft, but the rights to the parts changed by the mod are to be attributed to the author of the mod.

For everything that you have made yourself (e.g. added self-made textures, newly inserted script sections (also within an already existing MR-script!) - whereby we are back to the creation level here: Is this already given when you change a variable? Or only if 25% of the whole script is new have been written?), own sound files, ...) you can claim the rights.

If the uploader creates his own license, he commits a crime for theft of plagiarism.

There is no such thing as plagiarism. At best, §106 UrhG would come into play here. However, this only refers to the reproduction/distribution/public reproduction, not to an own licensing. The civil law way would be mentioned here as a possibility.

However, the licenses of the programs you use (Paint.net, Blender, zModeler, Word programs, Notpad ++, etc.) must be observed.

For the completeness: paint.net [3], Blender [4] and N++ [5] allow an unlimited use (also commercial). If you have created files with them, you can underline your copyright without problems. There is nothing to fear. With zModeler I do not know. With MS Word you get the right to use the program with a legal license. Then you also have the full right to the files created with it, including the content.

[0] AEROSOFT LICENSE AGREEMENT

[1] Darf ich Grundorf umbauen und dann hochladen - Support für AddOns, Mods, Content und Tools - Marcels OMSI-Forum

[2] Schöpfungshöhe – Wikipedia Threshold of originality - Wikipedia

[3] Paint.NET - Licensing and FAQ

[4] License — blender.org

[5] notepad-plus-plus/LICENSE at master · notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus · GitHub

(Excuse my deepL translations :P)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Lµkas

Seit Februar 2023 stehe ich nicht mehr als Administrator und Experte zur Verfügung.

• Thanks for your effort, Lµkas. No need to complicate matters further though; Tatra understood and addressed the gist of my question just fine.

I was precisely wondering how come that many modders (not just here but also on the MOF and elsewhere) claim full ownership of their works despite the latter redistributing standard content. "If others don't bother acknowledging the copyright of M+R, why should I?", I thought; "perhaps there's a separate license explicitly allowing modification and redistribution of standard content, that everyone but myself know about".

The simple answer Tatra provided suits me well enough: Technically, these modders are performing copyright infringement; practically, no one cares. For myself this just means that I'll continue explicitly stating that "original content of mod <X> is copyleft, while redistributed content therein remains subject to the terms of its respective authors/owners". The result still won't be legal, of course -- since those terms, or rather the implication of their absence, prohibit any modification/redistribution whatsoever --, but at least reasonably fair and as close to lawful usage as one can get when neither intimately familiar with German legislation and whatever "exceptional exceptions"/loopholes it incorporates, nor in possession of Aerosoft's formal consent.