Spline Crossing using Skew vs "Blender" Crossing

Willkommen in der OMSI-WebDisk!
Als Gast kannst du nur Inhalte in deiner ausgewählten Sprache sehen. Registrierte Nutzer können die Sichtbarkeit anderer Sprachen in ihrem Kontrollzentrum aktivieren, weitere Infos hier.
Alle Themen sind in den Foren mit einer Sprachflagge gekennzeichnet: = Englisch [EN], = Deutsch [DE], = Französisch [FR]. Wenn du die angegebene Sprache nicht beherrschst, schreibe auf Englisch!
  • Hello,

I learned how to create nice crossings in Blender but I feel limited regarding further modifications and since I work on a real map I want to be able to change something in future.

The main reason why I wanted and learned how to build crossings in Blender is because when you use radius in the editor it adds so many meshes.

But,

I switched to wireframe mode and I decided to try to use the skew feature to reduce the mesh count.

Here are steps that I follow:

1 - I create a spline with radius, I want to have something to "follow"

2. I start with a 1.5m spline, then I hit N and rotate that a bit and so on until I finish.

3. I delete the radius spline that was used as a template.

Main questions:

1. Will using skew (instead of radius) save FPS like "Blender" crossings?

2. Is there any "side effect" of using this (regarding the overall map stability and during work (I don't want to face bugs in the editor)?

s1.png

FC Internazionale Milano 1908

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von milosh-96 () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• Anzeige
  • 1. Will using skew (instead of radius) save FPS like "Blender" crossings?

It depends on how many crossings you have on your map. I would say that on average the performance improves, but not very much.

2. Is there any "side effect" of using this (regarding the overall map stability and during work (I don't want to face bugs in the editor)?

There may be problems if the "skew" spline contains a path (e.g. pedestrians), but everything else should work IMHO.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Lµkas

Seit Februar 2023 stehe ich nicht mehr als Administrator und Experte zur Verfügung.

• 1. Will using skew (instead of radius) save FPS like "Blender" crossings?

It depends on how many crossings you have on your map. I would say that on average the performance improves, but not very much.

Aus reiner Eigeninteresse:

Heißt das im Endeffekt, dass Objektkreuzungen i.d.R. immer (deutlich) performance-freundlicher sind im Gegensatz zu Spline-Kreuzungen (egal ob per "radius" oder "skew")?

Does it mean that crossings modelling by 3D software are generally more gentle in contrast to spline-crossings?

du bist so wunderbar, Berlin

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Coladose485 ()

• Wobei das nur ein netter Nebeneffekt sein dürfte. Unsere Bus-Bauer beweisen schließlich immer wieder auf's Neuste, dass es nicht auf die reine Polygon-Anzahl ankommt, sondern auch auf Texturen (das ist auch beim Kreuzungsbau zu beachten) und Scripts (beim Objektbau nicht relevant). So viel rausschlagen dürfte das nicht.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Lµkas

Seit Februar 2023 stehe ich nicht mehr als Administrator und Experte zur Verfügung.

• There may be problems if the "skew" spline contains a path (e.g. pedestrians), but everything else should work IMHO.

I thought about this, I plan to remove paths from crossing splines and then place an AI cube or invisible splines there for paths. My main goal with skew is to fix sidewalks, those curves are the worst. Maybe I model a crossing if I'm 100% sure that it won't need modificatons later :)

Is there any tip regarding textures (format, file size,resolution...)?

By the way, I really like how Addon Hamburg is created. They haven't used splines, only 3D models, and they wrote in Developer Tips PDF how splines are used only at few places on the map.

FC Internazionale Milano 1908

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von milosh-96 ()

• I thought about this, I plan to remove paths from crossing splines and then place an AI cube or invisible splines there for paths. My main goal with skew is to fix sidewalks, those curves are the worst. Maybe I model a crossing if I'm 100% sure that it won't need modificatons later

This sounds like a good plan.;)

Is there any tip regarding textures (format, file size,resolution...)?

Some days ago there was a discussion in German and there is also a Wiki entry about textures. (The Wiki entries will be translated by PG_97 bit by bit.) You may use deepl.com to translate German, this works well. :)

Dimensions: We recommend textures with a power of two as width and length (e.g. 256x256px, 64x64px, 256x32px, 1024x512px, 2048x4096px, ... - textures do not have to be quadratic).

Format: The common opinion is to use BMP, DDS and TGA format (only DDS and TGA support transparency), OMSI deals with them very well. Don't use PNG textures because they cause problems. The main difference between TGA and DDS is the compression: TGA files are less compressed and have a larger file size, DDS files have a smaller file size but are sometimes heavily compressed. Some developers prefer DDS, some prefer TGA and the OMSI developers Marcel & Rüdiger preferred BMP - You're completely free.:P

Resolution: It depends... Make the textures as small as possible, but as big as necessary. I personally prefer 256² textures for halfway smooth surfaces without profile (e.g. asphalt, concrete slabs, ) and 512² textures for more detailed ones (e.g. cobblestone, gravel, interlocking paver).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Lµkas

• what is your opinion about spline fences and walls?

Mmm... I don't really have an opinion. If possible, I would create fences as a spline with transparent textures (one "face" on one side, one "face" on the other => not much polys :D), but sometimes this is not possible (e.g. if you need pillars) => Then I would build the fence / wall as an object and assign it to an invisible spline (or a spline besides).

Maybe you could specify your question a little bit? ;)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Lµkas