the webdisk will remain in your hands, there is no planning on our part to abandon the project!
Due to the fact that the OMSI WebDisk is now experiencing a greater rush, the change to a server with a 10 Gbit connection (currently we have a 1 Gbit connection, the web standard - i.e. 10 times more capacity) is being considered, as we expect more rather than fewer bottlenecks in the future.
More information about the server change will be available at a later date, here are some things to be clarified and prepared in advance. As before, the move will be carried out with a lot of planning and preparation, so that you can move "from one day to the next" with little or no noticeable restrictions.
To increase stability and performance, we (or our expert miwi) have reduced or limited the download speed to 2 MB/s. You know that I am no friend of this... But this is the only way to prevent total break-ins ("502 Bad Gateway", i.e. TimeOuts). The webdisk is still running sluggishly, but that's all we can do at the moment.
Update from 28.04.2020
Our new server is already in preparation. The new SSD's are supposed to arrive tomorrow, but the 32 GB RAM will probably not arrive until Friday.
So it will most likely come to the server move on the weekend, if everything goes smoothly. Let's wait and see.
Update from 29.04.2020
Yesterday late afternoon we received a written confirmation from Aerosoft that they will keep their word and continue to support us. At the same time they announced that we will soon have a new raffle.
So friends: raise your glasses on Aerosoft!
Without them, it would be completely impossible for us to carry out such an expansion.
P.S.: Thank you-postings are not only allowed, but (for the boss of Aerosoft) explicitly desired!
Update from 30.04.2020
For the download area I have built in a "dead man's switch" which automatically shuts down the download area as soon as the server load exceeds a more critical value (if it falls below this value, the download area is released immediately). So I do not need to do this manually anymore.
Our forum and the wiki, but also the basic functions like the conversation system (PN) are not affected. The best thing to do is to store the internet address of the forum until the server is moved (or you can simply add a /community to the internet address at the back of the WebDisk).
Update from 02.05.2020
As expected and already communicated yesterday - as a precaution - the RAM did not arrive today, yesterday's holiday. So the server can't be finished and brought to the data center, so we can't move this weekend. It will be Monday evening/night or Tuesday at the earliest.
At least I've turned the performance screw a bit more and could still get something out of it, at the same time I've lifted the download speed limit again and increased the limit until the download area is shut down, so that the restrictions become less.
PS: The new domain is not yet clarified, please participate in the topic reboot remove domain.